Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

FIVE!


Blake,

I have to admit I've been pretty sentimental the last few weeks thinking about you turning FIVE.  I enrolled you for kindergarten.  KINDERGARTEN!  Five is going to be a big year for you Blake, but selfishly a really big year for me too.  Soon you’ll be starting your school career and you’ll be leaving my side.  In my head I know you are so ready.  But my heart is having a harder time knowing that.  I look back at your baby pictures and your pictures over the last five years, and it’s like I blinked and now you are five.  And I guess my heart knows next time I blink you’ll be ten, and then again and you’ll be out of the house.  Why does time have to go just so fast Blakers?! 
You’ve blossomed and grown so much this past year.  You absolutely love your school and have made such great friends there.  It kind of breaks my heart knowing you are all going to different schools next year.  You don’t really quite get that yet and I know you’ll be bummed when you realize it.  But you have always made friends easily and I know you will absolutely rock kindergarten.  Your teachers this year have witnessed and told us what we already knew about you, that you have an incredibly big heart.  That has continued to be one of my favorite things about you.  One of my absolute favorite stories exemplifying this happened just this past weekend.  You were invited to a birthday party that Brady was not invited to.  You went with your daddy while I stayed behind with Brady.  The party was at Main Event and after you were done playing all the games your game card would pay for and had won all the tickets you could win, you went to cash them in for your prize.  Without any prompting whatsoever from your daddy, you suggested you use some of your tickets to get something for Brady too.  “I want to get Brady that blue slinky, because blue is his favorite color.  I CAN’T WAIT to see the smile on his face when I give this to him!”  I melted into a pile of mush when your dad retold this story to me.  You handed Brady his prize which absolutely lit up Brady’s face and you said, “HE SMILED!  HE LIKES IT!”  That’s the kind of heart you have and have always had.  You are such an awesome big brother and while you two have your moments like any siblings do, you and Brady are the best of friends.  I prayed so much while I was pregnant with Brady you and your brother would get along, like I did with my brother, and I’m so incredibly grateful that has come to fruition.  I love watching the two of you together and your relationship grow.  My heart is happy knowing you two will always have each other. 
Your teachers have also noted on your “report card” how excelled in math you are.  This is the subject I have a feeling you will soar in.  You get this gift from your daddy.  You love doing math problems, which kind of cracks me up.  Oh, how different we are when it comes to this!  You also excel in your memorization skills.  You have always blown your daddy and I away when you blurt out a memory from when you were two.  But you also apply this to what you learn.  You can count to thirty right now in Spanish, when your classmates are still counting to ten.  You also apply this to your piano playing.  After playing a song with your teacher once or twice, you commit it to memory.  This skill, your teacher states is one of great talent but also drives him nuts because you’re not reading your music!  I love hearing how your piano playing has come along and can’t wait for your first recital next month! 
And of course one thing that has still stayed the same in the entire five years of your life, you are sports crazed.  You love playing any and all sports.  You love watching sports on tv with your daddy too and LOVED getting to go to your first professional sporting event with him last month.  The only sport you play in an organized league currently is soccer, and you are so good at it.  You improve all the time and you are extremely passionate about it.  While on the sidelines, some of your teammates are busy goofing off, but you are watching the game intently begging the coach (your dad) to put you back in.  I love that about you! 
Blake, you continue to make me and your daddy so incredibly proud of you.  You make us laugh all the time and bring so much love into our lives.  We love being your parents more than you could ever know and can’t wait to see what the next half a decade brings our way as you blaze your trail in this world! Happy fifth birthday my sweet Blakers!!!!

Love,
Momma

Birthday Slideshow
Blake's First Five Years

No comments:

Blog Archive