Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thanksgivukkah!


I really enjoyed Thanksgiving week this year.  The boys were both out of school the entire week, and while I do enjoy some time during the week when the boys are at school to get things done...alone...I really really enjoyed having the boys at home with me and not being in a set routine, rushing out the door for school and just getting to be.  I am so thankful for my family!  This year was also an incredibly rare occurrence...something that hasn't happened since 1888.  Thanksgiving and Chanukah, on the same day.  Crazy town.  At first I was incredibly annoyed.  Why is Chanukah SO early this year?!?  Do I decorate for Thanksgiving?  For Chanukah?  When do we decorate for Christmas?  This is all so confusing, especially in a house that celebrates Chanukah and Christmas.  But I finally decided to pull out all the Chanukah decorations even with some of the Thanksgiving ones still out and then I realized....Chanukah isn't "competing" with Christmas this year.  It was kind of nice to be able to focus on just Chanukah and it not getting lost with the other holiday that can tend to be very overbearing.  No offense.  Brad's mom and stepdad were in town Thanksgiving week as well. And so I decided to throw a Chanukah dinner party and had my in-laws, brother-in-law and my parents over for the first night of Chanukah.  I made a big dinner, including latkes and lit the candles and enjoyed all being together.  



Then we all regrouped the following day and stuffed ourselves silly for Thanksgiving.  And then a few days later we regrouped AGAIN to stuff ourselves silly and then the boys got to build gingerbread houses.  The boys had so much fun.  I love watching them participate in activities like that and see the joy on their faces.  Blake took the whole thing very seriously, like a little master chef.  It was so cute.  I think I might need to sign him up for some cooking classes!  






 

It was a non stop week of family time, eating, more eating and some eating again.  Can't wait to do the same thing in a few weeks for Christmas!  


No comments:

Blog Archive