Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Friday, April 25, 2008

A Watched Pot Never Boils

This past week has been exciting yet unbearable all at the same time. I had a doctor appointment on Tuesday and it started off with a sonogram and getting to see our sweet boy again. It was very exciting and the sonographer spent a long time with us looking at all parts of our baby. And oh boy has he grown! He is weighing in at approximately 7 1/2 pounds and 19 1/2 inches long. Already a big boy and still had 3 weeks until his due date!! After getting to look at our baby for awhile we met with my doctor who examined me. I was shocked to hear I was already 4 cm dilated and 75% effaced. She said being that way I could go into labor at any time. She said that because the baby was already measuring so big she would set an induction date if I liked for a week before his scheduled due date in case he hadn't come on his own terms. So we went ahead and scheduled an induction date of May 7th, but she agreed most likely I would not need that date as he'd probably come on his own terms well before then. I left the appointment on cloud 9. Not only did I get to see my baby but I was already well on my way for him to be born and thought I'd get to meet my son within the next day or so.
But here it is Friday, early evening and I'm still not in active labor. With every contraction or twinge of pain I wonder if this could be it, but the contractions never continue to be frequent enough to make the much awaited trip to the hospital. They always say a watched pot never boils and I'm beginning to feel like a watched pregnant belly never delivers! I'm uncomfortable but above all I'm very anxious and excited for my son to be born. I'm crossing my fingers I have some exciting news to report at some point this weekend. I go back to the doctor Monday morning though if I haven't delivered for another check up and if I do have to go to that appointment, I hope I've at least made some progress!!

No comments:

Blog Archive