Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Silver Linings

A few weeks ago I sat in the kitchen in tears, when Brad broke out in laughter at the possibility of me having knee surgery on his birthday.  Just a little over a year after he had surgery on mine. And then that exact thing happened.  
Brad and I had been counting down the days to his birthday.  It was his birthday which was great and exciting in itself, but it also meant we'd be dropping the boys off at my parents house and enjoying the day together and have a really special night planned out together. Just us.  We haven't had a night just us in over three months I think and so it was one of those things that was just...so needed.  But sometimes messy life can get in the way of all the great plans you have.  When I broke the news to Brad that his birthday weekend plans were having to be thrown out and he'd be on nurse duty instead, his reply was "Don't worry about my birthday, we have forever together."  Wow.  I just love this man so much.  I love how he always pulls me back to what is important in life. I had wanted to cry.  But then I realized even with messy life you have chosen to go through life with the most amazing partner and that it doesn't matter if you are at a nice restaurant dining on over priced food and drinks or find yourself in a pre op room of a hospital on a Friday night.  The great benefit (sarcasm) of having a 4:00 surgery time is my doctor was running late from the other surgeries he had performed before mine so surgery was very very delayed.  But the real benefit of surgery being HOURS delayed is time.  I know that makes no sense, but while it was frustrating having to wait and we were ready to get things over with, it was also a blessing.  No, we were not sitting at nice dinner we had planned but that didn't matter.  We were still with each other.  Just us.  And yes, an occasional nurse or doctor, but mostly just us.  We talked and laughed and just felt our love and it was really nice.  You know what else is really nice?  Having that love take the world's greatest care of you ever.  And you know what else is really nice? Having the best parents ever that are there to take the world's greatest care of your boys. What a huge burden to have lifted from me, not having to worry if my boys were okay during all the surgery mess.  That was one thing I didn't even have to question.  So amazing.  We were lucky enough to have them keep the boys Saturday night as well so I could get a little more settled before diving back in the world of parenting.  Brad picked up chinese take out and he set me up on the couch with pillows and my ice/dvt machine and we snuggled and watched a movie.  Wasn't what we had set out for that weekend.  And I certainly wouldn't choose it over the other, but we sure did find the silver linings in the deck of cards we were dealt.  One reason I love being married to Brad, is he's always helping me find the silver linings out of any situation.  
Me before surgery with my good attitude smile even though surgery is so delayed

My leg hooked up to the ice/dvt machine.  I call it my leg ventilator.  Brad calls it my leg Darth Vader mask. That's what it sounds like.  Brad's been a trooper sleeping with this thing on.  Its helping prevent a blood clot.

The boys had a great time over the weekend with Grandma and Papa.  Blake requested putt putt but Papa said it was too hot, so Blake said, "Let's bowl then because that has air conditioning."  So bowling they went of course.  Can't argue with Blake's logic.  

My parents were texting me about the boys cuteness all weekend.  Those boys crack me up!  The boys usually sleep until 7:30 in the morning, sometimes even later.  But on Saturday morning at their house they woke up just after 6.  Brady said the sun was up and it was time to get up.  When my parents said "Your mommy and daddy would have said go back to bed!" They agreed but said, "For Grandma and Papa we just say to get up."  They sure know already how much they have them wrapped around their fingers!!  Then Blake told my parents on Saturday night that he liked spending the night but wouldn't be doing it again for awhile.  It was just too much.  HA!  My parents said how much they like having them spend the night and Brady quickly spoke up that he would spend the night again soon!  And when my dad went into their room to tell them to stop talking and it was time to go to sleep Blake said, "But we have a lot to talk about with each other!!"  Sunday they ended up sleeping in until after 8!  Hooray!  The boys were SO proud of themselves and Blake said he was going to be well rested now for his soccer game later.  Love those two!  
My knee has been recovering well.  A much better and faster recovery than what Brad endured last year. I did have a complication from the anti blood clotting shot I was on however, which was no fun and brought a pricey visit to the urgent care center.  Needless to say I've stopped said shot and am doing much better. Everyone in our house, Darcy included, is ready for me to be back to normal.  Our normal routine is greatly missed.  Home cooked meals are greatly missed.  But everything in due time.  One day as Brad said we'll cross the finish line and we can put all this health crud behind us and just live life.  Sounds delightful.  

No comments:

Blog Archive