Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Brady's Ear Capades

We woke up at the crack of dawn this morning and had to be at Medical City by 6:30am. I was a little anxious about two things for the day ahead. The first, of course is Brady being put under anesthesia. The other, Brady not being able to eat from his feeding the night before until after the procedure. I didn't want him to be screaming for hours in the morning before his surgery. They had us get to the hospital entirely too early, as they had us registered and Brady's stats documented by 7 and didn't take us down (or up) for surgery until 8. Brad and I were cursing them for not allowing us the extra zzzzzz's! We only had maybe five hours of sleep after an already sleep deprived past few nights and we were tirrrrred. My second fear of Brady not being able to eat was dismissed. Brady was in his true form...smiley, happy and making all the nurses swoon! What a blessing Brady's happy demeanor is, even while going through so much health wise. At around 8 they gave Brady some "sleepy juice" to help ease any anxiety of being taken away from mom and dad. Brady was so entertaining after that. From the time they took Brady away until we were told he did great was maybe fifteen minutes? There was a mom in the waiting room waiting for her little boy who was in heart surgery. I can't even imagine. I felt so silly sitting in there worrying about Brady having tubes put in.
My second fear of Brady being under anesthesia was kind of dismissed. Brady was out and then awake in about 15 minutes, so he did great in that regard. As we walked down the hall to the recovery area where Brady was we could hear Brady screaming his lungs out. I tried holding him, feeding him, rocking him. Nothing worked. I have never heard Brady scream so violently and for such a long period of time. It was heart breaking. He threw up. I felt so helpless for my baby. I was finally able to get him to stop crying and pass out after what seemed like an eternity. Then his oxygen levels fell too low. He had to put on an oxygen mask. We'd try taking him off the oxygen and then back down, mask back on. Rinse and repeat. This had my stomach a little in knots, just wanting Brady to be okay. Brady finally leveled out and after another hour we were able to leave. Longest day ever and it was only 11. We're exhausted but I am grateful everything went relatively smoothly and just pray these tiny little tubes provide a huge relief for Brady.

No comments:

Blog Archive