Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

These are the days

You know those days when everything you try just doesn't seem to be working out and you just want to crawl back under the covers and have a "do over"??  I feel like a lot of my days the last few weeks have gone that way.  Like when, my four year old on the flip side of throwing up, couldn't go to the bathroom for days...  and then laid crying on the couch in agony from it all.  Then we gave him doctor approved medicine to help with that.  And he finally went.  And then couldn't control it.  So I spent the afternoon cleaning up #2 accidents all over the house.  And then my dog decided to pee a lake on the carpet after that.  And then one of my new sandals broke, while out in public so I had to walk around like an idiot with one shoe on.  And then I spilled water all over the kitchen floor.  And really, none of this is a big deal.  At all, in the grand scheme of things.  But just after the exhausting few weeks I've had, its just like enough.  I will climb back in bed now and wait for next year. Wake me when its 2013.  
I was laying in Blake's room the other night though trying to help him fall asleep and I laid there thinking, in spite of all this CRAP, all this little, doesn't matter crap, these really are the days.  Like Natalie Merchant singing, these are the days.  Blake will be away from my side for three days a week when he starts preschool in the fall.  The following year, he'll be in school all day long for five days a week.  Even though a big part of me is looking forward to having some more peace while he's in school, thinking about it, makes me sad too.  I'm going to miss the heck out of that boy.  In a blink of an eye both my babies will no longer be anything remotely close to babies.   I will long for these days.  I know I'll want to give anything to have all the not so fun, lack of patience filled days, just to have one more snuggle or hear one more giggle fit.  To be able to kiss away boo boos.  To build forts and play hide and seek.  To finger paint and play catch.  So, its a balancing act.  Trying not to wish away the days filled with poo and pee clean up and choosing to embrace the snuggles and giggles.  I'm choosing to remember the snuggles and giggles.  Although, believe you me, I'll save plenty of the stories of "Do you know what I went through when you were little?!?!?!?!" to guilt my teenage sons with. Its a rite of passage for them growing up after all.  

No comments:

Blog Archive