Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Preschool Start

Today was finally the day!  Preschool time!  And, in typical Brooke fashion, all the worries I had were for not.  
I wanted to have a special breakfast for Blake when he woke up today.  Something that he wouldn't expect.  And I finally decided on Mrs. Bartley's Banana bread.  Its a famous recipe in my life.  For those who know me, know I am a freak and don't eat fruit.  Its a disorder I've suffered from for all my life.  And this issue of mine bothered my best friend Kristen.  And I mean it really upset her.  I think it was her mission in life our entire upbringing (and probably still is) to see what fruit she could get me to try...and like.  Her mom was one of the best cooks, like in the history of ever.  One day, I think we were like eight years old, there was a fresh loaf of banana bread on the counter.  It looked yummy.  It smelled even yummier.  And I did something that shocked Kristen.  I tried it.  And I loved it.  And helped myself to more.  I came home from her house incredibly excited, telling my mom, "I tried banana bread!  And I liked it!  It was so yummy!  Mom, you HAVE to make it!!"  So my mom got the recipe and we made it at home.  It is still a memory etched in my brain, I went to bed after the bread went in the oven, but a little while later, my mom woke me up and told me to run into the kitchen.  She wanted me to see the bread rise in the oven, because I just didn't understand how it would happen.  Love that my mom did that.  I love that I got to be so lucky to inherit the yummiest recipe for banana bread ever from Kristen when I got married.  So, as you can see, this banana bread was the perfect start to Blake's first day of school.  Blake had never had it before.  When he woke up I told him about the surprise I made him for breakfast.  He was a little unsure, but after he took the first bite, he was all, "I LOVE banana bread!  This is so good!  Momma, will you put a piece in my lunch for me??"  And I was all giddy inside all over again.  Love reliving some of my favorite childhood memories through Blake.  He then asked for SIXTEEN pieces in his lunch.  We agreed at a compromise of one piece. 
Then it was time to leave for school.  


Blake seemed a little unsure about things.  He seemed sort of excited but also a little uneasy.  He kept asking, "So, you're not staying with me momma?  You're just dropping me off??"  I assured him he was going to have fun without me and I'd be there to pick him up later.  But I wasn't quite sure if he'd handle the drop off as swimmingly as I thought he might.


We got to his class and he found his seat with his name tag and sat right down and started on the activity they had put out for the kiddos.  He was totally in to it and not at all weary of saying good bye to us.  So glad, yet it was my heart that still felt a little sad to be leaving my Blakers for the day.  And then of course there was Brady, who went straight for the toys in the room.  But when we explained to him he got to go home with Momma and play with me all day, he put the toys down and walked right out.  No tears.  No melt downs.  VICTORY.  Now of course, I know not all days will go as smoothly as it did today.  I'm relieved today did though.  SO relieved.  But I am chopping at the bit for 2:15 to get here so I can hear ALL about Blake's first day!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive