Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hard to Swallow

So by now I'm sure you all are aware of Brady's dysphagia (inability to swallow properly). Brady should have outgrown this by a year old and while he has improved since we first diagnosed the issue months ago, he is still aspirating at times with the bottle and always out of a sippy cup. We have to get Brady past this in order for him to fully thrive and continue to develop as he should. Reading some stories online of babies needing feeding tubes because of their dysphagia is terrifying. At our appointment several weeks ago with the gastro, she too was concerned Brady had not outgrown the dysphagia. She recommended to follow up with the speech/language pathologist (SLP) who has helped perform Brady's swallow studies and ask to have him evaluated to see if he is a candidate for a special therapy that helps strengthen your muscles that help you swallow, Vitilstem Therapy. I was too consumed with Brady's virus and then my mom's surgery, that I finally just connected this past week with the SLP. She felt that she didn't need to see Brady, that based on his history alone she felt he would be a good candidate for vitilstem. I totally didn't realize what a huge undertaking this therapy actually is however...three days a week, an hour each session, for six weeks. Being a working mommy, and a working mommy in a company in the throws of lay offs, this is a bit stressful (to put it mildly), but I feel that I have to do everything humanly possible to help Brady. This therapy isn't a guarantee, but if I didn't try it, I wouldn't be doing what's best for my baby. I just hope this is an answer to our prayers.

No comments:

Blog Archive