Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Feeding the Ducks

I posted a few months back about my ridiculous fear of bees.  Like so crazy afraid.  And I have another phobia.  I swear I only have two.  I'm not a freak or anything.  Okay, maybe I kind of am, but I swear I can't help it!  I am embarrassed to admit that in addition to a crippling fear of bees, I also have an unhealthy fear of birds.  Yes, birds.  Crazy, right? 
Apparently, when I was about three, my mom took my brother and I to feed the ducks.  We soon became surrounded by geese.  Hungry, aggressive, geese.  I do not remember the event, but my mom and brother do vividly.  They say they have never seen anything like it.  The geese had me completely surrounded and started attacking me for the bread.  I had to drop the bread and run.  And while I do not remember this, it some how implanted in my brain and I have always been afraid of birds since.  I used to have a reoccurring nightmare as a little girl that birds were attacking me.  And just like the bees always seem to have it out for me and taunt me, the birds seem to as well.  Shortly after moving into our home, there was a mockingbird that I swear had it in for me.  Whenever we would walk Odie, this mockingbird would follow us.  It would swoop in right by me and then land on the mailbox at each house we walked past.  At first, Brad thought I was nuts (probably still does) and said I was just imagining it.  But when he went on a walk with me one day, he saw it with his own eyes and totally agreed...this stinking mockingbird had it out for me.  One of these days, I swear I'm going to be so crippled by fear, I'll never be able to step outside again.  I kid.  Kind of.  
Anyways, all of this back story to get to today's events.  I was looking for something to do outside the house with the boys and my mom suggested going to our favorite park in Frisco since the weather was so nice.  Great idea.  I remembered to grab some bread to feed the ducks too and the boys were so excited.  Last time we went to feed the ducks at this pond there was a duck.  ONE lonely duck.  So I was hoping there would be at least one duck we could feed so the boys wouldn't be let down.  Be careful what you wish for.  There were lots of ducks today and they were all hanging out on the edge of the water on the ground.  I thought if we went down where they were they would attack, so we went to the observation deck area where we would hopefully be safe and I threw a piece of bread in the water to try and get the attention of the ducks.  Across the far edge of the pond was a very large white crane.  (I googled it because I couldn't believe we had cranes here??).  It had been there for awhile and was perfectly still.  Until... Until it saw me throw the bread in the water and came flying across the pond and landed along the water near us, watching.  Waiting.  I freaked the heck out, I'll be honest.  I am the world's worst mom and told the boys we couldn't feed the ducks.  "WHY MOMMA?!" "I WANT TO FEED THE DUCKS!"  And I could only do what any other mom would do.  I told them because the white bird would attack us.  I'm not scarring my boys for life or anything.  The boys were pretty bummed.  That is, until they realized if we weren't feeding the ducks the bread, they could eat the bread.  They are Brad's offspring after all and the way to their hearts is through their bellies just like their daddy.  Who am I kidding, its the way to my heart too. 

No comments:

Blog Archive