Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Poor Papa

My dad is the last person to ever complain.  He is the epitome of the meaning "suck it up".  Sarcasm is one of the biggest ways my dad gets through the rough patches, which in turn always helps the rest of us get through stuff too.  The end of 2011 and beginning of 2012 has been a rough few weeks for my poor dad, but he has not once complained and continues to crack jokes.  But since he won't play the violin, I will for him! 
It started a few weeks back when my dad went to the dermatologist and had to have many suspicious spots on his face biopsied.  One came back cancerous.  A few days later, he had to undergo a double whammy and have a endoscopy and colonoscopy performed at the same time to make sure there were no more precancerous or cancerous areas, as they had found precancerous polyps a few months back at a routine scope.  Thankfully, that came back good news.  And then two days later poor dad had to have surgery on his face to remove the cancer.  My dad had stitches covering practically one side of his face.  But we just joked that he looked like a bad ass and affectionately started calling him Scarface.  And then on the 30th my dad started having stomach pains and ended up in so much pain he had to have a driver from his office take him to the hospital.  As luck would have it, I was at the hospital for a checkup so headed down to see him in the ER afterwards.  Dad was running a 103+ fever, shaking and moaning in pain.  But he still managed to crack a joke that he was glad he could work out the timing of his hospital visit with my doctor appointment.  Dad is still in the hospital and my mom had to ring in the new year alone at home while dad slept in a hospital bed.  Not exactly how our family would imagine starting 2012.  I just pray he gets to go home soon and the rest of this year can be a healthy one FOR ALL OF US!

No comments:

Blog Archive