Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Today

My morning began by the whispers of rumored lay offs, actually its been rumor for the last few weeks. Minutes later one by one people were being tapped on the shoulder, being whisked away to a meeting room or office to learn today would be their last day. As my brother and Brad both commented on, it was like a bad game of duck duck goose. I sat with my stomach in knots wondering if I was next.
Luck would have it that today was not my last day on the job. Luck would not have it that today was the last day at work for two of my closest friends I've made there. That hurt. My heart aches for them and the struggle their families will endure while trying to find another job in such a mess of an economy. My heart aches that I won't have them to work with day in and day out. I feel for the 55 people that lost their jobs today. I am more grateful now for my job than ever and grateful I can now put the stress of a looming lay off behind me. It was one more stress in my life that I did not need.
With the feeling of sadness all around us, we were told we could leave early. I took the opportunity to go to the hospital to visit my mom, who I had not seen all week due to the ice storms and Blake's closed school the last few days. I was very grateful for the chance to spend a little time with my mom. While I was not all happy miss sunshine at our visit due to my day, I hope I was able to bring a little happiness her way by stopping by. It sure was good therapy for me to see her face.
Once we were home we went to let the dogs in from the backyard, only to discover they were covered in mud, thanks to all the melted ice mess. So in the bath they went. Oh what fun.
Photobucket
Then yogurt time for Blake...his new favorite thing
Photobucket
And last but certainly not least... I was called into the bathroom by Brad during Blake's bath time with very exciting news! "Look, Blake can spell!"
Photobucket
A perfect ending to not such the best day. How can you not smile?

No comments:

Blog Archive