Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Sunday, September 12, 2010

ALTE

ALTE. A life threatening experience. That is what the doctor called what Brady experienced. I am still a little in shock from everything and partly just not allowing myself to think about it on a deep level, otherwise I'd probably crumble to the floor.
I'll try not to make this tooo long. Brady woke up on Saturday from a nap crying. I went in to get him and carried him into the living room. He was still a little groggy from his nap and just letting out a tired cry. Two minutes later he stopped crying, I looked down and he wasn't breathing. I thought maybe he was holding his breath? I blew in his face. Nothing. I stood up and started beating him on his back with my hand. Nothing. I turned him with his face facing the floor and beat on his back. Nothing. Then at this time he was completely blue. Brad grabbed him and as he did I realized his body was completely limp. Brad immediately tilted his head back, pinched his nose and instructed me to give chest compressions after he breathed into his mouth. Brad went into give Brady CPR and before he could Brady let out a small cough. Then another and another and cries. Brad was literally shaking. I was trying to hold myself together. Several minutes later Brady was acting completely back to his old self, however after consulting the after hours line at the doctor we headed to the ER. Thank goodness my dad was able to keep Blake for us so I could have Brad with me this time. It was a long night. I had to witness Brady get an iv, blood drawn from his heel twice, a urine sample collected via a catheter and a chest x-ray. We didn't get admitted into a hospital room until I think 2:30am. I slept probably 30 minutes. The doctor doesn't know if it was respiratory related or due to his swallowing issues, but feels this is a one time event. We are praying it is. We were released late this afternoon and will go into the pulmonologist office tomorrow for a follow up and discuss what next. Beyond grateful we are home with Brady and so grateful Brad acted without hesitation. And lastly, public service announcement to all parents of youngins.... if you have not had an infant CPR class... do so. If you have not had a first aid class...do so. We had the infant CPR class when I was pregnant with Blake and I attribute it to saving one of my most precious things in this world.
Brady last night


Brady this afternoon

2 comments:

Kristen said...

POOR sweet baby. Thanks for keeping me posted last night so I could pray for your sweet boy. I am so sorry you had to experience such a traumatic event. An excellent reminder to freshen up on CPR. Prayers that this will NEVER happen again.

Me said...

Brooke, I cannot imagine having to go through what you guys did over the weekend. You and your family are consistently in our prayers. HUGS!!!!! :o)

Blog Archive