Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Smartie Pants

*Warning*The following post may be taken as bragging about my oldest son, so read at your own risk.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Blake is smart. And I mean REALLY smart. I think he has his daddy's brains. The mind of an engineer. Blake can count to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish. He knows all colors and shapes (even octagons and hexagons) and can recognize all the letters in the alphabet. He can say all the colors in Spanish. He can say all the months of the year...in the correct order. A recent discovery that his teacher shared with us, he can read. READ. He can read AND comprehend 36 words that we know of. This kid isn't even THREE yet. At Blake's school they have what is called circle time. Where the kids and teacher sit in a circle and they spend the time to teach them. Most kids in Blake's class don't really care for this time, but Blake? He LOVES circle time. His teacher would use flash cards and whoever said the correct answer of what the flashcard was for, gets to take the card and hold it. According to his teacher Blake had to have all the cards. If she got to a flashcard that Blake couldn't remember the word for, he'd look through his stack of cards and out of process of elimination would guess the correct word. His teacher told me this and I was like oh my gosh he's like Rain Man!
Day two of stay at home mom and we are trying to stick to a schedule similar to school. Blake asks, is it circle time yet, is it circle time yet? After dinner last night, Blake asked daddy, "Will you play circle time with me?" I love that he has an insatiable appetite for learning and I hope that is always the case.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you thought about moving into more languages while his brain is still so spongy? May be Latin, Hebrew, Greek and Chinese? Those could provide a good ground work for later expansion.

Blog Archive