Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Birthday Bust

I'm not a perfectionist by any means, but when it comes to planning a party for my babies I want everything to go off without a hitch. HA! ha ha ha. Brady's party was yesterday and in the eyes of this mommy was a Disaster, capital D. The plan was to have Brady's friends at a ranch by our house that puts together a really awesome pumpkin patch. The one we visited last year, with a bounce house, pony rides, a hay maze, a petting zoo. And each kid would get to pick out their own pumpkin to take home. It was all just going to be perfect. I communicated back and forth via e-mail with one of the "ranch hands" about the day and dates of the pumpkin patch. I even have the flier from the ranch with the dates on it. All systems go. So I thought.
The comedy of errors began as Blake's soccer game was going waaay over the time it should have ended and we all came in one car. THANKFULLY my parents were at the game, so I was able to leave with Brady and my mom and leave my dad to bring the rest of the fam. Imagine my horror as we pulled in to the ranch to discover, NOTHING was ready. There were workers walking around setting things up. No pumpkins, no bounce house, nothing. I was shaking I was so upset. I called Brad in tears, "WHAT DO WE DO?????" The party was starting in just 15 minutes and I knew everyone had driven a long way to get there and was going to show up themselves any minute. Brad in his cool, calm, practical way, stated, "Let's just figure out somewhere else to go, no problem." I decided to send the party to Frisco Commons Park. It was a beautiful day and at least the kids could have fun playing on the great playground there. My friends were thankfully such good sports about it and rolled with the punches. I was mortified, embarrassed, disappointed, upset, sad. Brad was trying to remind me all day about what really mattered and my friend Kristen sent me a really sweet message last night as well that helped. I know that Brady had a GREAT time and was not disappointed and the other kids had fun, so what else matters? It is a two year old's party after all. Not something he will hold against me later in life. (I hope not at least) :) And I am grateful we were able to gather to celebrate Brady in any sort of capacity. Last year, after all, we had just gone through the biggest nightmare with Brady when he stopped breathing and then two weeks later got way sick and we had to cancel his party plans all together. Brady deserved a celebration more than any other kiddo and at least he got something, even if its not what I had planned. Such a life lesson that this thirty year old is still trying to learn.
Here are just a few pictures my dad and I were able to snap.

Precious Jones and London in their precious pumpkin outfits. I saw those outfits and wanted to cry they had no pumpkin patch to take precious photos in!


Breck and cutie patootie Jocelyn. So sweet for them to be here when they are trying to get ready to move!


Blake's BFF Sophie came with her brother Ryan (not pictured) who is Brady's age. Blake ignored her the whole time. Felt so bad. I guess he's playing hard to get already.


Pics of the birthday boy looking so handsome in his sweater vest!


After the park our family ate lunch at Chick fil A and here is Blake pretending to talk on the phone, the phone being a chicken nugget!
And I know this last picture is just of Brady drinking out of a water bottle, but I can't express to you how I felt at this moment. Brady has never drank out of anything but his sippy cup (or bottle before that) and until just a little over a month ago, could drink no liquids unless they were thickened. And here he was drinking out of a water bottle and doing it well, like the big two year old boy he is about to be. I just felt proud and joyful that he is growing up. Again, I know its drinking out of a water bottle, big whoop, but seeing him doing so well with this swallowing thing after such a loooong journey with this part of his health woes was so gratifying. Love this sweet boy!


I'm sorry to all of you for the change of plans and headache involved with it all. Thank you for rolling with the punches and being such awesome friends and family. Brady thanks you too.
And more birthday celebrating to come!!!


2 comments:

Mark and Kristin said...

We are still sorry we missed it. It looked like the kids had a lot of fun. Cake + presents x friends and family always = great birthday!

D and B England said...

Jocelyn had so much fun! It is neat to watch her play now that she is more mobile. Don't worry about the change in venue, Brady was having a blast, and you know we would travel any distance to help celebrate such a happy occasion!

Blog Archive