Keeping Up with the Joneses

Keeping Up with the Joneses
Photo by Kristin Dunn Photography

Thursday, December 30, 2010

BRADY (also, the longest post ever....)

I promise I will not spend all of 2011 blogging about Brady's health or at least God hope I don't have a reason to. I am sure if you are bothering to stop along and read this lil blog you may get tired of hearing about another doctor appointment, another illness, another test, but I'm not going to apologize. I use this blog to capture every aspect of my family's lives...an online journal. The good, the bad and everything in between. When Brad and I were having dinner a few nights ago to celebrate another year of marriage under our belt, I was reflecting back on the past year. Its been one hell of a year. Every single month starting with January we've dealt with some sort of health issue with Brady...January starting it off with the dreaded RSV and a trip to the ER. We experienced probably the single scariest day of our lives on September 11th, when Brady stopped breathing. Brady has undergone a ridiculous amount of tests and I spent many days and weeks of this year in such a horrible state of worry about Brady's health and what it would mean for his future. But we've also had one ridiculously amazing year full of miracles. My amazing nephew was born in April and after several years filled with so many bad days and battling her life at times, my mom received a miracle in October when she received a new lease on life and a functioning kidney. And Brad and I have had an entire year being Blake and Brady's parent's, getting to be witness of their greatness, watching them grow and watching life through the eyes of little children. They are two amazing boys and fill our lives with so much joy and love and an abundance of smiles and giggles. They bring such meaning to our lives. I want nothing more than to have two healthy children and for them to not suffer and be able to live their lives as a "normal" child. I've been scared, so so scared, at the possibilities of Brady having his "normal" stripped away. I thank God every day for these boys and for almost all of Brady's latest tests coming back normal. I know we could be in such a different place right now. A bad place and I am grateful for where we are. There are so many families that have seriously ill children and my heart breaks for them. I really can not imagine.
We met yesterday with the pulmonologist to discuss Brady's one test result that did come back abnormal. His IGA immunity came back significantly low. IGA is your immunity that helps you fight against nasal/respiratory issues. To summarize, the doctor said Brady's number was so low that any sort of respiratory related virus he comes into contact with, Brady will catch and once he catches it, his body isn't able to fight it well and most times even with one antibiotic, another infection develops on top of that so another medicine is needed, thus explaining our battle of illness over the last year and Brady's struggle to pack on the pounds. He is optimistic Brady will outgrow this condition, however most likely will not be until he is 5 or 6 years old, although could be sooner, could be later. Could be never. Brady will be on a preventative course of a low dosage antibiotic he'll take 3 days a week, indefinitely. This will not keep him from catching a bug, but the hope is instead to reduce the impact of the bug. If he develops a fever or anything gets into his chest, a stronger antibiotic will be needed. The best defense is to prevent catching the bug in the first place. To not be in "places" that are a high risk factor for being exposed, especially during the months of October-April, i.e., daycare. So now I have the gut wrenching decision to make on if I quit my job or not. There is no easy answer. Yes, Brady's health is my number one concern. But there are so many other factors involved, its not an easy decision. I have to weigh everything, one huge point being I'd have to take Blake out of school too and he adores his school. He adores his friends. He has gained so much knowledge as well. He is so smart from everything he's learned there. I feel like I'd be failing Blake to help Brady if I quit. If I keep them there, I feel like I'm failing Brady to help Blake. Of course there are other factors too, but I don't need to share all those here. So I have an internal struggle going on.
I want nothing but greatness for my boys. I want nothing but for them to be healthy and happy and it seems like the next few years may be a struggle for us. Yes, again, I am SO grateful it is nothing more serious. So grateful. I just am having a small pity party for myself at the moment that things aren't going to be all sunshine and roses for awhile. But I'll soon suck it up, be optimistic and count all the many blessings in my life. Here's to hoping 2011 brings good health to ALL my loved ones.

No comments:

Blog Archive